Recipe: Dairy & Gluten Free Cathedral Christmas Cake
As we count down the weeks until Christmas, the UnserHaus team are sharing their Christmas family food traditions. Here’s Brigitte‘s recipe for Dairy & Gluten Free Cathedral Christmas Cake.
This is a delicate treat with all of your favourite Christmas flavors. Sliced thinly, the lovely fruits and nuts create the special surprise of a stained glass window.
Makes: Two loaf sized cakes (23-25cm tins)
Difficulty Level: Easy
Ready In: 15 minutes prep, 1 hour 20 minutes baking
Appliance/cookware: NEFF Convention oven
1 cup brazil nuts
1 cup almonds
¾ cup red glace cherries
1 cup dried apricots
¾ cup crystalized ginger
¾ cup cranberries
¾ cup dried pineapple
½ cup dates
¼ cup brandy
2 vanilla bean pods
½ cup raw sugar
½ cup dutch cocoa powder
3 cups almond flour
¼ teaspoon salt
Preheat NEFF oven CIRCO THERM 150°c / Convention Fan Bake oven 150°c
Line two loaf tins (23-25 cm) with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add all your nuts and fruits. If some of the fruits are quite big cut them in ½. Your brazil nuts should be the size to guide you.
- Pour over the brandy and let this mixture sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cut the vanilla pods length ways in half and scrap out the seeds.
- In another mixing bowl add the vanilla, sugar and eggs and whisk well to combine, add this to the fruit and nuts and mix thru.
- Add to the fruit egg mixture the almond flour, cocoa, salt and thoroughly mix making sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Place even amounts into the 2 loaf tins and smooth over the tops with a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 1hour cover the top with foil and bake a further 20 minutes.
- Gently remove from the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the best result once cooled wrap in baking paper and foil and leave a couple of days to firm before thinly slicing.